Tuesday 20 September 2016

OUR WEEKEND IN DERBY

Last Saturday, September 17, 2016, we (with husband) went to Derby for the weekend and I love it! We took the National Express from London Victoria Coach Station.  This was our second time to book with National Express, what's great about this coach is if you book your ticket well in advance you get a great deal off your ticket.  We stayed in the Premiere Inn (Cathedral Quarter) and it was awesome.  The room clean, the bed was so comfortable and the best part of the room was the view of the Silk Mill and the river Derwent from our hotel room window perfect.

What I would like to have done differently was arrive Friday afternoon instead of Saturday in order to get inside Derby Museum and Art Gallery to visit the world's largest collection of Joseph Wright's paintings and Derby Silk Mill.

Here are the reasons why I love Derby and why it's a must visit.

1.  Derby Pyclet Parlour

I love these flat crumpets!  I think they are better than crumpets in my humble opinion.  Paul tried it with salmon and horseradish cream and he loved it.  I tried it with Stilton, honey and walnuts, and even though I'm not a big fan of Stilton, the combination of the three was so perfect that I'm now converted. I love it. Great news you can now order online at  http://www.pycletparlour.co.uk






2.  Derby Cathedral

This magnificent cathedral dates back from 14th century and one of Derby's dominant and majestic landmarks.  I love the tower and it's cathedral bells.  Each day the bells played out different tune sounding out nine in the morning, at noon and six in the evening.  We were so pleased to attend the Cathedral Eucharist on Sunday.  The service was beautiful and the choir was excellent.  For more information visit their website at http://www.derbycathedral.org




3.  Silk Mill Ale & Cider House

I highly recommend this place and make sure to book in advance to avoid disappointment as the place was busy.  We walked in and we were lucky to get a table.  The food was great and the staff friendly.  We both ordered from the fish menu.  Paul had Brixed Grill and I had Port Issac and we both loved our choices.  For more information visit their website at http://www.thesilkmillderby.co.uk





4.  Cathedral Green, Derby Silk Mill and river Derwent

In 2009, the whole area of the cathedral green leading to the river Derwent was beautifully landscaped at a cost of £4.2 million.  At the banks of the river Derwent stands Derby's stunning Silk Mill and is the gateway to the UNESCO world heritage site.  The Silk Mill is open Thursday 3PM - 9PM, Friday and Saturday 1PM - 5PM and Sunday 11AM - 3PM and entrance is Free.

Statue of Bonnie Prince Charlie at the Cathedral Green
Derby Silk Mill and River Derwent

View from our hotel window

5.  Cathedral Quarter Free Audio Tour

Explore the Cathedral Quarter by downloading these tours onto your MP3 player or by accessing them on your mobile phone through the i-tags on the signboards in the streets.  I suggest doing this tour first thing in the morning when there are not many people around.

i-tags on the signboard

Follow me on Instagram for more of my city trips https://www.instagram.com/bbjing23/

Please leave me a comment on what city in England  I will do next.  Happy travels.

#ChallenJing40

No comments:

Post a Comment